Skip to main content

Making Ghee (Clarified Butter) - From Butter


Indian Cuisine use Ghee in nearly every dish from savory Pulao/Biryanis to sweet Mithayis. 
Traditionally in India Ghee is made from Cow's milk. Ghee has always been a sacred and celebrated symbol of auspiciousness, nourishment and healing; especially in the daily rituals of cooking and worship. It is thought of free from all impurities, milk residues(Lactose free), and moisture(high shelf life).
                                          
My mum makes Ghee from full cream that she carefully stores for days.  But here in US we don't cream when we heat the milk . So now I make Ghee at home from Unsalted butter which is quick and easy.
I get unsalted butter from Costco...no one can beat Costco for their prices n quality.
Ghee is clarified butter. and there is some difference between the two.




Here's the process I use the make Ghee.

1. Get Unsalted Butter bricks. Use as many sticks you want to use at one time. I usually use 8- 12 sticks at one time.

2. Heat the sticks on medium flame in a big kadhai/pot
3. Once melted, the butter will start frothing.
4. The butter will start clearing after few minutes. You'll hear some crackling sound(That's the moisture evaporating). Keep stirring with wooden spoon.

5. When all the butter is cleared off and you can see residue in the bottom of kadhai, you can turn off the gas. Ghee is ready!
6. Let the Ghee to get cool down a bit(Say for 10- 15 min ). Use a fine mesh strainer to strain the ghee to a glass/ steel container. It will turn a beautiful yellowish/creamish shade once cooled.


P.S. ~ 1. Add a little salt to help the residue to settle down. But as I keep the same ghee to light the diyas I don't add Salt. 
          2.You can also use salted butter to make Ghee. It will be lil salty but not that much. Also it will crackle a bit more when heated. 


Comments

  1. Your site is truly cool and this is an extraordinary moving article. clarified butter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such an informative article. Keep sharing such an amazing stuff
    Osmanthus tea benefits

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Have anything to say???

Popular posts from this blog

I'm livin' in a house of love

So today I would like to share a little project I did a couple of days back... I am in love with love...:)..n I love taking photographs..So this project is the combination of two.. So for starters here's one more strip from love is .. series... We have a very narrow gallery wall in front our coat closet. Earlier I wanted to put some frames of our favorite photographs. But with only the frames, the wall looked a little empty. so I came up with the idea of adding something extra. I saw something similar on a blog  n wanted to make one for our home..Here's what I did.. 1. So I started with old newspaper,tissue papers, old printouts, catalogues, magazines, coupon booklet..anything that u fancy works...lotsa them...n a pair of scissors, some glue , threads..cut lotsa hearts the little ones, big ones, skinny ones, fat ones.. 2. Cut them free hand..drawing them takes more time and also its more fun cutting them free hand.. 3. I like...

Eye Exam!!!

So We went to Ophthalmologist(read eye doctor) today!!! It was my first real eye exam!!!and at 8.30 in morning..well I have nothing to say for that.. Hubby dearest was having his eyes tested so I tagged along with him.. I found it very funny and entertaining.. unlike the dental exams...:D..It went well!!! No specs yet..ALL IS WELL!! The difficult part was living with the dilated pupils for hours..At first when she squirted that yellow liquid and afterwards another one.. everything seemed normal..But when I couldn't even make out the date on my phone, it began to sink in... Imagine no laptop, no phone,no mails, NO FACEBOOK ;)... even cloudy Seattle seemed brighter..Everything was blurred..Even calling up my Maa was difficult as I couldn't make out her name!!!...It definitely took more than 3 hours that my doc said..:P.. n afterwards it wasn't much fun either...So I slept..Sleep is the best remedy to everything.. So my day started at 4 pm today..:D ...